Thursday, March 3, 2011

Listening to the Spirit

What is the first thing that you think and do when you see the homeless?

Do you instantly lock your doors while trying to avoid eye contact with the person?

Do you stare in curiosity, wondering why they are on the streets?

Do you ever consider stopping to give something to them? Or do you excuse yourself from helping, because after all, its dangerous and they will probably spend the money on drugs?

OR do you listen to the Holy Spirit?

I admit, I have done every one of those things listed above. I have locked my doors while praying that the man or woman will not approach me. I have stared at the homeless, and sometimes felt a sense of pride that I am not in their lowly position. I have considered helping them, but most of the time I tend to come up with great excuses to get out it.

It hasn't been until the start of this year that I have decided to try to actually listen to the Holy Spirit.

The truth is that we as Christians have a responsibility to the homeless. It is written ALL OVER the Bible. Starting from the very beginning when the Lord created laws that instructed the Jews to not pick all of their crops and to leave some of there crops for those in need (Lev 19). Then in Isaiah 58 where the text specifically says to cloth the naked, free the oppressed and feed the hungry. This is an act of worship. Not to mention that Jesus himself mentions taking care of the poor numerous times.

So yes, its obvious that as follower of Jesus, I have a responsibility to the poor. But I have always struggled with actually acting on Jesus' commands to take care of the poor.

Last April I did a month long project where I focused on the poor and some of the trials they face daily. I can truly say that the Lord broke my heart in such a tangible way from that experience that real change happened in me. It has been such a journey for me since I ended that project. So many questions and confusion I have felt about what I should physically do to help the poor. The Lord has been gracious with me and has provided some sweet opportunities to love the poor overseas, which I was thrilled about, but what about the poor in Dallas?

I finally came to the understanding that I do have a responsibility to the homeless people that I come across in Dallas. After asking for direction and wisdom, I feel like these are the things that I must do when I see a homeless man or woman.

1. Pray (duh). Pray for that man or woman and ask for direction in what my next step should be.
2. Listen. The Holy Spirit is always leading me, but I need to really do my best to listen to what the Holy Spirit is telling me to do.
3. Act. And this is it the hard part. The Holy Spirit is going to convict me to do something and I need to actually act on it.
4. Pray again. Pray for that person you just interacted with in some way. Pray for healing in their life, pray for provision, pray that they will come to know Jesus.

Since January I have asked the Lord to give me the courage to actually do those four things when I see a homeless person. It has been so incredibly sweet to see what God has taught me throughout these two months.

I've learned that listening to the Holy Spirit is harder than I thought. There have been times where I have given something, and left feeling like I needed to give more. I halfway listened. There have been times where I haven't given anything at all and have left with the peace that I made the right decision to not give. Throughout all the opportunities that the Lord has provided for me to give, I get better at listening to the Holy Spirit.

I encourage you to try those four things I mentioned above. It is extremely uncomfortable to actually give to a homeless person the first time. God is going to stretch you and it will not always be easy or convenient. But the blessings that have come from each homeless person that I have given and talked with have been so amazing.

And consider this passage in Matthew. Remember that when we give, we are giving to our Savior, our King.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’




No comments:

Post a Comment