Saturday, March 5, 2011

Losing a job. Trusting in Jesus.

In the last 24 hours I have:

1. Worked my last shift at Tin Star.
2. Went salsa dancing with mi amigos.
3. Went on a secret mission.
4. Took a freakin' awesome nap! Yes, it is blog worthy.
5. Saw a friend that I don't see hardly enough.
6. Ate some legit mexican tacos.
7. Wrote this blog.

I guess I'll start with numero uno. It's just so weird! I went into work last night and just did my regular thing. I was even thinking through and planning around my work schedule for the rest of the week. Then my manager told me I could go home so I said goodbye to everyone and left.

My sister, her husband and the kids were still not back from their friends house by the time I got home. I had already planned on going out with some friends to Glorias for salsa dancing, so I hopped in the shower and got ready for the evening. As I was finishing up my make-up, my sister and Chase came home. They told me they needed to tell me something. I asked if I was in trouble. Isn't it funny how we always assume we are in trouble when someone says they need to talk to us? lol Well, at least thats what I always think. Anyways, Chase and Elizabeth assured me that I wasn't in trouble. Instead they said that they had permission from my manager (Chase's good friend) to tell me that Tin Star is closing. Tonight. Without any warning at all.

I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason they decided to close my location. A lot of different thoughts have passed my mind since I found out that I don't have a job. Some are positive. Like, I am beyond excited to have Sundays off again and I am thrilled to really get involved at Fellowship. But mainly, I'm kind of bummed. I mean, I really liked that job (other than the Sunday thing). My coworkers were funny and I loved working with them, I made semi-decent money there, and my shifts usually went by pretty fast. I'm also pretty annoyed that they didn't give any of us warning. I mean, had I known that I wouldn't have a job even a week ago, I would have spent my money differently. I would have started looking for other options, and I would have been able to say my final farewells to my coworkers. But in the end, it is what it is and I am looking at this as an opportunity to trust in the Lord for provision.

I have realized this before, but it hit again last night and today. It is really easy for me to make idols of security and comfort. Having a job gave me a great sense of security and knowing that I can afford certain things is a comfort to me. And this is just a part time job that gives me this sense of security and comfort, imagine if it was my full time job. The fact is, that at anytime the Lord can take away. I want to be able to still praise Him no matter what trials I may face in life. I don't want my security to be put into earthly, fleeting things. I want to put all my security in the Lord and I know that He is using this experience to teach me how to do just that! And that in itself is such a blessing!

Other than the whole job thing, these couple days have been really fun. Ashleigh, Amy, Damaris and I danced the night away at Glorias. I am not usually the clubbing type, but I really did have a blast dancing. Then today Damaris and I went on a secret mission and then took a wonderful nap. It is so nice to just hang out and not worry about work or school! Then we went over to the Starbucks that my friend Sarah works at. I haven't seen her in way to long and enjoyed catching up. Then Dam took me to a wonderful authentic Mexican restaurant that is in the ghetto. I was the only white person there. It was fantastic.

And now, I'm at Dam's and Jessie's place getting ready to fall asleep while watching Scout and Sir-Meows-A-Lot get into a fight.

I hate cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment